Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Cost of Sight Pt. 3


Looking over my blog I noticed I never gave my final update on how my glasses turned out. Here's a hint, I'll never buy from a brick and mortar store ever again, with the exception of
Costco (I actually bought a pair of Rx shades from them only because their customer service was that good through my process of ordering from someone else. More retail stores no matter what the product need to take note).

I bought mine from Costal Contacts and had a great experience even though I sent the first pair back. The first pair did not match my Rx and to make things worse my Rx had changed so I could not even wear them. I called CC and with no hassle whatsoever I sent back the glasses and got the new ones within a week (they are a west coast company and I live on the east). The new ones, though perfect, took a little getting used to only because of my new Rx, no fault of CC. Having had them for almost a year now I see great and I've had no issues with the glasses. So for about $30 shipped I got a name brand pair of frames and upgraded lighter lenses with all the coatings (anti-glare, scratch-resistant, UV blocking) at no extra charge. As a matter of fact I was in the mall the other day with my wife in a lens chain place where she bought her glasses and they asked if I wanted mine adjusted. The guy told me they were some of the lightest lenses he had ever seen and was impressed with them.

I need to disclaim that I got a smoking deal at the time I bought mine (frames were on clearance for less than $10), but you should be able to find most pairs on several trusted sites from $40 to $100 depending on brand of frames (the more chic the name the higher the price, usually). This is better than the $300+ I usually paid in B&M stores

Again, head over to http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/ for a list of good sites, how to order online (there are some essential things you'll need, see The Cost of Sight Pt. 2) and why you should never pay more than $100 for frames and lenses ever again.

I would love to hear back from any of you if you give this a shot for the first time or have any questions about the process. So let me hear from you and enjoy sticking it to the man.

No comments: