Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Cost of Sight Pt. 2

So yesterday I posted my problem with the eyewear chains. Today I got a little more validation to reassure me that the revolution is possible.

When ordering glasses online along with your prescription you will need to know your pupillary distance (PD) so I got my wife to check it for me yesterday (there are different ways of checking it, go here to see a few). You can also get your doctor to check it at your next exam. My membership to Costco ended last month and today I finally got around to renewing it. I hadn't been there in a while so after taking care of the membership thing I decided to peruse the store. Coming across the eyewear counter I thought I would ask if they would check my PD to ensure that the measurement we took at home was accurate.

Now I can't speak for all Costcos, but the lady I spoke with at mine was very helpful. When I inquired if she would check my PD she did so gladly, which was off by only .5mm (well done, Honey). She then asked me if I was buying frames online, I told her I was and we discussed different sites. She also told me that when mine arrived I could bring them to her and she'd take a look at them, check the craftsmanship and adjust them for me. That bit of helpful customer service took out the remaining guesswork of ordering my glasses.

I'll post again once all is said and done to give insight into the whole experience. In the meantime you can go to http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/ for more information. We can make a change here people, let's do it. New subject matter next time, I promise.

1 comment:

pat gillen said...

Just discovered the blog. :)
Of course cheap eyeglasses online throws off my justification to get Lasik based on the cost of them - but I still wouldn't trade it back!

Now, let's see a pic of the new glasses!