Monday, June 15, 2009

The Cost of Sight/My Latest Indignation



I know you can't tell it from my photo, but I wear glasses as does my wife (though unlike me she has the choice of contacts). Recently we went shopping for her a new pair of specs. The more we looked the more I began to wonder why frames made of plastic and wire could cost anywhere from $100 to "How much is in your 401k?" Then on top of that you've got to get lenses, which I didn't give too much thought to cost because of the expertise that goes into cutting and installing them. And I'm sure there's some kind of FBI security grid behind that door in the back of the show room where the lab coats hang out.

Thanks to a thread on www.slickdeals.net I picked up a pair of designer name glasses that with upgraded lenses and S/H I paid just over $30 for. Surely this was too good to be true, an internet scam that made me it's latest victim. No way any reputable company would make a profit from this.

That's what I thought until I went here. What an outrage! My purchase may be a mistake, but for 30 bucks as opposed to $400+ I'm willing to risk it. And buying glasses online might have to be a trial and error process, but I'm telling you now that I vow to never buy from traditional stores as long as they continue their selling practices.

I hope my fellow four-eyed friends find this post helpful in knowing more about how much markup goes into your new pair of frames and what you can do to combat it.

1 comment:

Ira said...

I'm staring at my collection of 24 of the 30+ pairs I've ordered online in the past 2.5 years (and through another) as I type this. I've only had one pair in all of them that was obviously wrong. Quality wise, they range from acceptable to much, much better than the $400 pair I bought in 2005.

You'll NEVER step into another mall optical store again.

Let me know if you have any issues whatsoever. I may be able to help.